NHVL Prosecution: A Case for DIGI CLIP
This post aims to highlight how DIGI CLIP mobile forms can assist organisations with safety and compliance using the successful prosecution of Bitumax for a CoR loading breach.
In 2019 Bitumax was fined $9,900 for overloading a gravel truck by 120% in the South Australian Magistrates Court. Betamax pleaded guilty to this mass breach under the Heavy Vehicle National Law and attracted a 40% reduction in the overall fine. The maximin fine for this type of offence is $55,000. The successful prosecution is considered a win for CoR law.
The main issues identified in this case include:
- Betamax failed in good corporate governance
- on the day of the offence, there were no systems in place to check the mass of the load
- three previous requests for the loader to have scales were not actioned
- lack of procedures in place to ensure follow-up
- there was a lack of evidence on previous truck weights (could be used as an average)
- Betamax and its operators failed to meet their compliance and legal obligations.
This case highlights the importance of due diligence for all parties along the heavy vehicle supply chain.
You can read the full Big Rigs article by following this link.
DIGI CLIP allows organisations to document, report and communicate safety and compliance issues via the following forms:
- Daily Heavy Vehicle Pre-Start Checklist
- Weighbridge Weight Record
- Toolbox Talk Record
- Incident Report Form.
DIGI CLIP automatically communicates action items, such as faults, defects and non-compliances via the Action Register where action items are automatically logged, tracked, communicated and closed out once rectified.
DIGI CLIP also has an analytics page that allows an organisation to drill down and make sense of its safety and compliance data. The ability to identify frequently failed list items to identify trends of poor performance over time.
DIGI CLIP is an easy-to-use, inexpensive checklist and inspection app and cloud-based software. DIGI CLIP is used across different industries to capture safety and compliance data and other information to help improve safety, compliance & operational efficiencies. If you would like to learn more about DIGI CLIP you can follow the links below: